Protection Software: Application error message during the installation
Symptoms: When you install a PC Tools Protection program, you receive an application error message relating to pctsGui.exe or pctsSvc.exe.
• Depends on what the error message is referring to.
• Permission problems
• Known error messages
PC Tools Internet Security / Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus / Spyware Doctor / PC Tools AntiVirus
To troubleshoot this issue, please ensure you have downloaded the latest version of the PC Tools Protection product in question.
Step 1: Uninstall:
1. Shut down the PC Tools Protection program
To shutdown the PC Tools Protection program, please right click on the program icon in the notification area (next to the clock on the Windows task bar) and select "Shutdown" from the menu that appears.
2. Uninstall the program via the Windows Control Panel
3. Check to see if either of the following folders still appear in your computer ("PC Tools Internet Security" / "Spyware Doctor" / "PC Tools Security" /). If so, please delete them before proceeding.
C:Program FilesPC Tools Internet Security
C:Program FilesSpyware Doctor
C:Program FilesPC Tools Security
Step 2: Reinstall:
1. Download the PC Tools Protection in question from the link below:
PC Tools Internet Security
Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus
2. Install the files downloaded in Step 1 (above)
3. Open the PC Tools Protection program
4. Perform a "Smart Update"
Step 3: Forwarding screenshots to PC Tools
If reinstalling the program does not fix the problem, send us an email support inquiry with the following information:
• A brief description on when does this error message occur and how often it occurs.
• Screenshot of the error message
If you are not familiar with taking screenshot, please click here.
Article Number: 342
Posted: Thu, Sep 22, 2011 7:46 AM
Last Updated: Tue, May 21, 2013 5:38 AM
Online URL: http://www.pctools.com/kb/article/protection-software-application-error-message-during-the-installation-342.html