Security Software: How to start your system in Safe Mode with Networking
Safe mode with Networking starts Windows with a limited set of files and drivers which include Internet/Network access. Safe Mode only runs the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed so the appearance of your desktop may look different.
- Select Start (Windows Button).
Windows 7Vista: Click on the arrow next to the Shutdown button and select restart.
Windows XP: Select Shutdown and select Restart.
- As soon as the computer starts back up, begin immediately by pressing the F8 key repeatedly until the Windows Advanced Options Menu appears with various options.*
*If you see the Windows loading screen, you have missed the opportunity to enter Safe Mode and must restart your computer to try again.
- By using the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard, select ’Safe Mode with Networking’. Please do not select any other option.
- Login to your account (if asked).
- Wait and eventually Windows will start in Safe Mode.
Please remember to reboot your computer after you completed these instructions.
If you have any difficult getting the Windows Startup menu to appear at step3, try the following to get into Safe Mode:
Try holding down the left shift key instead of pressing the F8 key while booting up it. Begin immediately pressing the F5 key, about once a second, until the message ’Windows is bypassing your startup files’ appears.