Protection Software: Resetting your DNS Settings
To reset your DNS Server settings, please follow the outlined steps below.
Step 1: Confirm that you have your IP Settings on Automatic.
For Windows XP Users:
1. Click on Windows Start
2. Go to Control Panel
3. Double click on Network Connections
4. Right-click on your active connection
5. Click on Properties
For Windows Vista / 7 Users:
1. Open Windows Start Menu
2. Click on Control Panel
3. Go to Network and Sharing Center
4. Click on your Connection Type (Local Area Connection). This should launch a window showing your connection status
5. Click on the Properties button.
This should take you to the Network Connections Properties window.
6. Click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
7. Click on Properties button
8. Make sure that you have Obtain IP Address automatically and Obtain DNS Server Automatically selected. This would let your machine acquire the settings straight from your modem/router.
Alternatively, you can visit the link below on how to use Symantec’s Norton DNS services.
Step 2: Reset ipconfig Settings
Now that you’ve confirmed that you have your DNS Settings automatically set, time to run a few commands to reset your settings and your DNS cache cleared.
- Click on Windows Start
- Go to Programs > Accessories > System Tools
- Click on Command Prompt
NOTE: Windows Vista/7 users will need to right-click and select “Run as Administrator”
So by now you should have the Command Prompt launched.
There are two things you need to do.
- Clear you DNS resolver cache
- Reset your IP details
To clear your DNS resolver cache, type the following command below, then hit Enter.
To reset your IP details, type the following command below, then hit Enter.
Afer the release…
At this stage, your IP settings should renew/reset.
- Protection Software: How to Remove Antivirus 8
- Protection Software: How to Remove the Security Tool infection
- Protection Software: How to Remove the System Tool Infection
- Protection Software: What is AOSS (Alternate Operating System Scanner)?
- Protection Software: MS Removal Tool - Manual Removal Instructions
- Protection Software: How to Remove TDSS-Related Web Search Redirection Threats
- Protection Software: How to Remove Microsoft Security Essentials Fake
- Protection Software: How to Remove Palladium Pro
- Protection Software: How to Remove ThinkPoint AV
- Protection Software: How to Remove Antivirus Action